Friday, August 29, 2014

the kettle black

One of the perks of working in South Melbourne is that I hear about and can eat at places like The Kettle Black during weekdays.

On an auspicious Friday my colleagues and I ran to this place for lunch to check out what all the hype was about. I have yet to go to Top Paddock but have heard that weekend crowds snake out the front - the same team have brought fancy food and gorgeous decor to this cafe.

The epitome of Melbourne chic, it operates out of a preserved Victorian townhouse that nestles into a hulking modern-looking dragon building. Relaxed luxury in the ridiculous ceilings, pot plants and lots of windows.One of my first thoughts was "I want my house to look like this". There was a coffee cart out the front that sported the legendary donuts.

I have mixed feelings about eating super fancy food for brunch (at the same price point as lunch at a French bistro). While I obviously enjoy fine dining I am also in love with the idea of street food like pho and banh mi for breakfast - how fancy can eggs get? TKB has come to answer that question.

Tataki ocean trout with a raw kale and pickled seaweed salad, nuts and poached eggs.

This fish was amazing - slightly sweet and salty, like freshly cured lox from Adelaide. Definitely a dish I would recommend. The presentation is impeccable and there is nothing to fault the food. 

I think the mixed online reviews reflect people who are asking themselves whether brunch can / should be elevated to the level of fine dining, whether it's taking itself too seriously or whether it's just a Melbourne thing and here to stay.

Clockwise from top: seasonal local mushrooms on toast with chestnut powder and fresh curd, polenta porridge with burnt apple, textures of strawberry and basil, tataki ocean trout with a raw kale and pickled seaweed salad, nuts and poached eggs.



The Kettle Black
50 Albert Road
South Melbourne
9088 0721


The Kettle Black on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment